Wonder Woman was an amazing movie and I have been waiting to post a review since I saw it on opening day. It is now out on DVD and streaming, so I feel comfortable posting about it. I had not seen the original Wonder Woman movie to compare this to. Also, I did not see Batman vs. Superman, so this was my first time seeing Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. If you have not seen it yet STOP READING and come back after! The rest of the post does contain spoilers.
I picked up a Wonder Woman toy for Molly at PetSmart this summer and she absolutely loved it. Sadly, the toy is now missing a face (Molly is pretty adamant about ripping out squeakers). Anyway, on to the movie review!
I was not sure what to expect going into this movie, partially because I had no frame of reference for a Wonder Woman movie and was not 100% on her story line. Also, going to admit we are more of a Marvel household. However, this movie blew it out of the water for a superhero movie and especially a female superhero movie. There were quite a few things I loved about Gal Gadot’s portrayal of Wonder Woman, but also the structure and perception given in the movie. It did a wonderful job of focusing on her passion and goals. A few things:
- I really enjoyed the time they paid to her backstory on the island. I am one of those annoying people that always wants to know a characters history and usually pester my boyfriend for the information. Lucky for him this movie did not require that.
- The humor thrown in at little movies added great depth to both the characters and story line. Favorite was when Etta is explaining her job and Diana tells her that is considered slavery where she comes from. Also, just Diana trying to take her sword and shield around the city caused me to giggle.
- The lack of overall sexualization was done wonderfully. I was so happy that there was obviously hints to it, as there is in everyday life, but it was done tastefully.
- I totally saw the Ares thing coming. My boyfriend and I were both guessing at who Ares was and I guessed correctly. I loved the reveal and the following fight that ensued.
- I cried like a baby when he went off in that plane. I was doing well until she starts to process what he was saying to her and then the tears started flowing.
- Honestly, I walked out of the theater and immediately started texting people to go see it. It was everything I could have hoped it to be and am so excited for the next one.
What did you think of the movie? Any other movies you think I should see?